Contact Click Here

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
534 Delaware Ave, Suite 433, Buffalo, New York 14202 | 19 Limestone Drive, Suite 9, Williamsville, New York 14221

Call now for an initial consultation 716.886.9600

Call now for an initial consultation 716.886.9600

Options for Enforcing a Child Support Order

If you are a custodial parent and have been awarded child support in your divorce agreement, the law provides tools to collect the money owed to you. In the State of New York you can pursue legal enforcement of a child support order if the supporting parent refuses to pay, is delinquent in payment or does not pay the full amount. If your ex owes you child support, speak to a divorce attorney immediately to explore your legal options.

Your options for collecting past and future child support payments include:

  • Income execution – wages can be garnished from the place of employment in order to make support payments
  • Unemployment benefit intercept – if the delinquent parent is unemployed, unemployment benefits may be intercepted in order to make child support payments
  • Income tax refund intercept – both federal and state tax refunds can be intercepted to pay child support
  • Property execution – bank accounts and other financial assets may be seized in order to make child support payments

In addition to these collection measures, the Office of Temporary And Disability Assistance can take the following steps to coerce a non-compliant parent into paying support:

  • Credit bureau alert – a delinquent parent can be prevented from acquiring or using a credit card until payment is made
  • Passport denial – the state department can deny issuance or renewal of a passport until full payment is made
  • Liens – a lien may be filed against a parent’s real estate holdings or personal injury claim award
  • Lottery winnings interception – lottery winnings can be garnished and used to pay support (though you probably shouldn’t count on that).

If you are not receiving child support payments, speak to a divorce attorney. Your children deserve to be provided for. Call the Buffalo Law Offices of Randy S. Margulis and Associates at 716.886.9600 or contact us online.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *