How to Choose a Divorce Attorney
The decision to divorce is one that most couples do not take lightly. At the moment of decision a person overwhelmed by emotion, apprehension or anticipation might not consider the selection of a divorce attorney to be a high priority, but according to a recent report, that choice has the same potential to affect the next stage of your life as the decision to leave the marriage.
Even if you and your spouse are divorcing under the most amicable of conditions it is a good idea to consult a divorce attorney to make sure you are acting in your own best interest. Consider these factors when researching potential counsel:
- Word of mouth – when asking friends and family for a referral, note if one name is mentioned more than others
- Fees – if an attorney will not meet you once without charging a fee, this might indicate a lack of confidence or desperation to have your business. There is a wide range of fees out there, and a higher fee does not necessarily indicate better representation
- Chemistry – you don’t have to like your attorney, but you do have to work well with him or her. Select someone you feel puts you at ease and addresses your concerns
- Experience – some attorneys are recognized as super lawyers or have received commendations from the bar association
- Expectations – a good attorney is one who has realistic expectations for the outcome of your divorce. Select one who tells you like it is, not one who tells you only what you want to hear
Don’t hesitate to part ways with your attorney if you don’t feel comfortable with your first choice. Your divorce attorney has a powerful influence on your future. The decisions you make together regarding division of assets, child custody and financial support are crucial. Interview an experienced divorce attorney by calling the Buffalo Law Offices of Randy S. Margulis and Associates at 716.886.9600 or contact us online.